The Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) is a living, interactive gallery of unique works of art and architectural design elements that reflect the cultural influences of the men and women who have lived and worked in the communities we've served for more than a century.
In the last several years, our collection of public art has undergone its largest expansion ever – doubling in size and featuring more than 80 works of art and significant architectural details across the system, including mosaics, sculptures and paintings by both up-and-coming and marquee talent.
Public transit is more than just a means to and from work or school, it’s also an opportunity to learn and inspire with each trip taken.The investments we’ve made in public art and architecture are a reflection of how much we value our riders and the communities we serve by providing riders with a friendlier, more inviting atmosphere, while also providing a glimpse into the rich history and unique characteristics of the surrounding neighborhoods.
On-Air at 95th Street: AESOP (An Extended Song of Our People)
AESOP is the country’s first-of-its-kind, live public broadcast studio inside a transit terminal. AESOP is part of a larger public art program created specifically for the 95th Street Terminal and the surrounding community by world-renowned Chicago artist Theaster Gates.
Now through Labor Day (September 2, 2019), resident DJs Ayana Contreras and Duane Powell will be spinning records on Mondays and Fridays to help riders start and end their work week on an upbeat note.
- Mondays 7 a.m. --10 a.m./DJ Ayana Contreras
- Fridays 4 p.m.-7 p.m./DJ Duane Powell
Now available for purchase!
For the first time ever, our collection of public art and architecture are celebrated and chronicled in detail in the new Elevated: Art and Architecture of the Chicago Transit Authority -- a 448-page hardcover book that serves as a guide to the more than 70 works of art and 24 significant architectural elements featured across our rail and bus system. The book features stunning visuals captured through the lens of Chicago photographer Aron Gent, as well as essays by world-renown, Chicago-based artist and architect Iker Gil, as well as Chicago’s official Cultural Historian, Tim Samuelson.
Proceeds from the book, which is available for purchase via CTAgifts.com, will support our public art program.
On this page:
Future art installations
We are planning to add more works of art to our growing collection at the following locations over the next few years, including:
cIndicates an art installation project already underway with a commissioned artist/artist team.
Many of the pieces featured in our public art collection are a result of the Arts in Transit Program – funded by the Federal Transit Administration and coordinated locally through CTA, the City of Chicago Public Art Program, and the Chicago Department of Transportation. A number of other pieces were created through our former Adopt-A-Station program and through partnerships with local artists and organizations, including Gallery 37, Chicago Public Art Group and Marwen.
Locations of Selected Art
* Indicates locations featuring new art installations since 2010.
Illinois Medical District*
Conservatory-Central Park Drive
Union Station Transit Center*
Download our 2016 public art booklet:
2016 cta public art booklet (.pdf)
- Mayor Emanuel, CTA and World-Renowned Artist Theaster Gates Unveil Two Works of Art at the New 95th Street Red Line Terminal (press release, 4/8/2019)
- Mayor Emanuel and CTA Announce Completion of Garfield Gateway Project (press release, 1/10/2019)
- Mayor Emanuel, CTA Continue Investments to Improve Transit Experience (press release, 10/29/2018)
- CTA Unveils Interactive Artwork at Damen Blue Line (press release, 04/06/2018)
- CTA Montrose Blue Line Station to Get New, Unique Public Artwork by Chicago Artist as Part of Mayor Emanuel’s Your New Blue Program (press release, 11/07/2017)
- Mayor Emanuel and CTA Open New Wilson Stationhouse (press release, 10/23/2017)
- Mayor Emanuel Opens New CTA Train Station at Washington and Wabash (press release, 08/31/2017)
- Mayor Emanuel and CTA Unveil Art Concepts for 95th Street Terminal (press release, 07/13/2017)
- CTA Holds Community Meeting on Your New Blue Irving Park and Addison Station Art Projects (press release, 06/08/2017)
- CTA Seeks Community Input on New Artwork for Jefferson Park Blue Line Station (press release, 05/26/2017)
- CTA Seeks Community Input on New Artwork for Kedzie Green Line Station (press release, 05/02/2017)
- CTA to Host “Meet the Artist” Community Meetings for Two New Public Art Projects (press release, 03/13/2017)
- CTA Seeks Artist for Montrose Blue Line Station (press release, 01/23/2017)
- Irving Park, Addison on the Blue Line Are Latest CTA Stations to Get New Public Artwork (press release, 12/14/2016)
- CTA to Host Community Meeting on Dec. 8 for New Artwork for Austin Bus Turnaround on West Side (press release, 12/05/2016)
- Four CTA Rail Stations to Receive New Artwork by Award-Winning Artists (press release, 10/14/2016)
- CTA Hires World-Renowned Artist to Create Artwork for Austin Bus Turnaround (press release, 09/14/2016)
- CTA Hires Award-Winning Chicago Artists for Two Downtown Public Art Projects (press release, 06/03/2016)
- Mayor Emanuel Plans to Expand Art at CTA Rail Stations, Bus Terminal (press release, 02/23/2016)
- CTA to Host Community Meeting on Unique Artwork for New Wilson Red-Purple Line Station (press release, 05/05/2015)
- CTA to Host Community Meeting Seeking Public Input on the Your New Blue Damen Station Art Project (press release, 09/26/2014)
- CTA Hires Internationally Acclaimed Artist to Create Artwork for New Wilson Station (press release, 07/16/2014)
- Mayor Emanuel and CTA Unveil New Artwork for Eight Red Line South Stations (press release, 06/23/2014)
- CTA Selects Your New Blue Contractor and Artists for Damen, Western and California station renovations (press release, 02/05/2014)
- CTA Selects Artists for New Original Artwork at Red Line South Stations (press release, 01/07/2014)
- CTA Seeks Artists for Blue Line Station Artwork as Part of the Your New Blue Project (press release, 12/13/2013)
- CTA and Artist Theaster Gates to Host Five Community Meetings for the Historic 95th Street Terminal Art Project (press release, 10/8/2013)
- CTA seeks internationally renowned artist for 95th Street Terminal project (press release, 07/12/2013)
- CTA Announces Artwork Plans for Red Line South Stations (press release, 06/18/2013)
- CTA to Host Community Meeting for Input on Red North Station Art (press release, 10/19/2012)
- CTA Seeks Artists for North Red Line Stations (press release, 09/13/2012)