Ventra reader saying "Go"

Military Service Pass

Active U. S. Military personnel in full uniform and presenting their United States Armed Forces ID, or personnel and qualifying disabled veterans with a Military Service Pass may ride free on CTA buses and trains—we've provided free rides for over 8,000 veterans in the area we serve!

See the FAQ below for information about qualifications

Where to get a Military Service Pass

Just visit the Ventra Customer Service Center:

Ventra Customer Service Center
567 W. Lake St.
2nd Floor
Chicago, IL 60661

(on Jefferson, just south of Lake; nearest 'L' stop: Clinton on Green & Pink Lines)

Hours and more information

A new photo will be taken when you come in and your new card will be issued at the service center.

Need a new Military Service Pass?

Please bring your Armed Forces I.D. and/or proof of compensation (dated within the last 12 months) if you are receiving disability retirement pay of 10% or greater.

Military Service Pass Questions

Questions & Answers

Am I eligible for a Military Service Pass?

You are eligible for a Military Service Pass if you qualify as:

  • Chicago area active duty military personnel and possess an Armed Forces ID Card;
  • An actively drilling member of the National Guard and Reserves who possesses an Armed Forces ID card or a member of the Coast Guard with appropriate identification.
  • A Chicago area disabled veteran who has a qualifying service-connected disability and can provide proof that: you are in receipt of United States Department of Veterans’ Affairs (USDVA) disability compensation of 10% or greater; or you are receiving military disability retirement pay in lieu of USDVA compensation at a rate of 10% or greater.


back to top

What is required to confirm my eligibility?

  • For active duty military personnel, an Armed Forces ID card.
  • For disabled veterans, an official letter from the USDVA indicating eligibility for a qualifying service-connected disability payment as outlined above, along with a valid state ID card.

back to top

How and where do I obtain my Military Service Pass?

Ventra Customer Service Center
567 W. Lake St.
Chicago, IL 60661
Hours and more information

back to top

What if I am on active duty and in uniform?

You can ride for free and do not need to use your Military Service Pass. However, if you are on active duty but not in uniform, you must have a Military Service Pass in order to ride for free.

back to top

How do I replace my lost, stolen or damaged MSP?

Visit the Ventra Customer Service Center or call 1-877-NOW-VENTRA (1-877-669-8368).

Ventra Customer Service Center
567 W. Lake. St.
Chicago, IL 60661
Hours and more information

back to top

How do I use my Military Service Pass to get free transit?

Tap your Ventra Military Service Pass to the lower portion of the Ventra reader, which is prominent as you enter the bus and is on top of the turnstile at 'L' stations.

back to top

I am retired from the military. Am I eligible for a Military Service Pass?

No, only active duty military personnel and disabled veterans who have a qualifying service-connected disability (as outlined above) are eligible for the Military Service Pass. If you are 65 years of age or older, you may be eligible for the RTA Senior Reduced Fare or Ride Free Program. Contact the RTA at 1-312-913-3110 or go to for details.

back to top

System status snapshot
‘L’ route status
Bus routes w/alerts
Elevator alerts