The National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) requires evaluation of potential environmental impacts associated with federal projects and actions.
In 2020, a Supplemental EA was determined to be required for the RLE project to evaluate the three project changes that have occurred since the publication of the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) in 2016. The project changes are:
- 130th Street station relocation
- 120th Street yard and shop refinement
- 107th Place cross-over
The Federal Transit Administration (FTA) and the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) announce the availability of the Supplemental Environmental Assessment (EA) and Section 4(f) Evaluation for the Red Line Extension (RLE) Project. This document evaluates the three project changes that have occurred since the publication of the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) in 2016. The purpose of the Section 4(f) Evaluation is to discuss mitigation and enhancement measures proposed for Beaubien Woods Forest Preserve. These mitigation and enhancement measures were developed in consultation with the Forest Preserves of Cook County.
Supplemental EA and Section 4(f) Evaluation
The Supplemental EA and Section 4(f) Evaluation was available for public review and comment from January 31 to March 1, 2022.
Copies of the Supplemental EA were available at the following locations during the 30-day comment period:
- Federal Transit Administration – Region 5 Office
- 200 W. Adams Street, Suite 320, Chicago, IL 60606
- CTA Headquarters
- 567 W. Lake Street, 2nd Floor, Chicago, IL 60661
- 9th Ward Aldermanic Office
- 34 E. 112th Place, Chicago, IL 60628
- 34th Ward Aldermanic Office
- 507 W. 111th Street, Chicago, IL 60628
- Pullman Public Library
- 11001 S. Indiana Avenue, Chicago, IL 60628
- Palmer Park
- 201 E. 111th Street, Chicago, IL 60628
- Agape Community Center
- 342 W. 111th Street, Chicago, IL 60628
- West Pullman Public Library
- 830 W. 119th Street, Chicago, IL 60643
- Altgeld Public Library
- 955 E 131st Street, Chicago, IL 60827
- Woodson Regional Public Library
- 9525 S. Halsted Street, Chicago, IL 60628
- Calumet Park Public Library
- 1500 W. 127th Street, Calumet Park, IL 60827
- Harold Washington Library Center
- 400 S. State Street, Chicago, IL 60605
The CTA has concluded the 30-day comment period to take formal comments on the Supplemental EA and Section 4(f) Evaluation from January 31, 2022 to March 1, 2022. While the public comment period for the Supplemental EA is now complete, you can continue to submit comments on the project via email or U.S. mail at any time.
The public hearing for the Supplemental EA and the Section 4(f) Evaluation was held in two formats: one virtual meeting and one in-person meeting.
- Virtual Public Hearing
- Tuesday, February 15, 2022 (6:00 PM – 8:00 PM)
- Location: via Zoom
- In-Person Public Hearing
- Thursday, February 17, 2022 (6:00 PM – 8:00 PM)
- Location: The Salvation Army Kroc Center (1250 W 119th St, Chicago, IL 60643)
- Meeting resources
130th Street station stakeholder meeting (Altgeld Gardens)
In addition to the public hearing, the CTA hosted a targeted stakeholder meeting for residents in the vicinity of the Altgeld Gardens and Golden Gate neighborhoods.
- In-Person Stakeholder Meeting
- Wednesday, February 16, 2022 (6:00 PM – 8:00 PM)
- Location: Altgeld Branch, Chicago Public Library (955 E 131st St, Chicago, IL 60827)
Get involved and stay informed
You can request to be added to the RLE contact list by clicking here or sending an email to RedExtension@transitchicago.com. Those added to this contact list will receive upcoming meeting notices, as well as future updates about the RLE Project.
Updates on the RLE Project will also be posted to the project Facebook page: Facebook.com/CTARedExt
If you have any questions related to the CTA’s proposed RLE Project, please click here or contact us via email or U.S. mail at: RedExtension@transitchicago.com
Chicago Transit Authority
Strategic Planning & Policy, 10th Floor
Attn: Red Line Extension Project
567 W. Lake Street
Chicago, IL 60661-1465