Agency also notifies Blue Line riders of construction work at Cumberland
The Chicago Transit Authority announces service changes, additions and impacts to service starting this weekend:
Cubs NLCS playoff games - Saturday, Oct. 22 – Sunday, Oct. 23
CTA plans to provide additional service for the Chicago Cubs v. Los Angeles Dodgers games (Games 6 and 7 of the NLCS) currently scheduled for Saturday, October 22 and Sunday, October 23**. First pitch is at 7:08 p.m. **Note: Sunday, Oct. 23 game is tentative at the time of this release.
- Red Line: Additional train service will be provided leading up to first pitch. Addison Red Line (wheelchair accessible) is closest station.
- Yellow Line: Train service between Howard and Skokie will be extended until midnight.
- Bus: Additional service on the #80 Irving Park and the #152 Addison. #8 Halsted and #22 Clark also recommended.
Northwestern football game - Saturday, Oct. 22
The CTA will provide extra rail service for the upcoming Northwestern vs. Indiana University football game at Ryan Field on Saturday, October 22 at 11 a.m.
- Purple Line: Longer Purple Line trains will begin around 9 a.m. Central station is closest station three blocks east of Ryan Field.
United Center events - Saturday, Oct. 22 through Thursday, Oct. 27
The CTA will provide some additional transit service for people attending upcoming events at the United Center:
- Sunday, Oct. 22 at 6 p.m. – Chicago Blackhawks vs. Toronto Maple Leafs
- Monday, Oct. 24 at 7:30 p.m. – Chicago Blackhawks vs. Calgary Flames
- Thursday, Oct. 27 at 7 p.m. – Chicago Bulls vs. Boston Celtics
Pink/Green (Ashland/Lake), Blue Line (Illinois Medical District) stations closest to arena
Bus: Service provided on #19 United Center Express beginning approximately 2 hours before events until one hour after events end; #50 Damen provides connections with Orange, Pink, Blue and Brown lines.
Partial platform closure at Cumberland Blue Line - Tuesday, Oct. 25 through Tuesday, Nov. 1
CTA will perform some Your New Blue station and platform renewal work at the Cumberland Blue Line station starting 9 p.m. Tuesday, October 25 through 9 p.m. Tuesday, November 1.
- During this period, Forest Park-bound trains will not serve the station
- Consider using the adjacent Blue Line stations at Rosemont and Harlem
- For Forest Park-bound trips originated from Cumberland, take an O’Hare-bound train to Rosemont and transfer across the platform to a Forest Park-bound train
- For trips to Cumberland when traveling towards Forest Park, continue trip to Harlem and transfer across the platform to an O’Hare-bound train and head back to Cumberland
- CTA, Pace bus alternatives: #81W West Lawrence provides connection to Jefferson Park station; #241 Greenwood-Talcott Pace bus to Cumberland; #209 Busse Highway Pace bus to Harlem
- Metra alternative: Metra Union Pacific Northwest Line, Park Ridge station; #290 Touhy Pace bus service to Cumberland (CTA), Park Ridge stations
In 2013, the CTA and Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced Your New Blue, the largest modernization of the O’Hare Blue Line branch since it was extended to O’Hare International Airport in 1984.
PLAN AHEAD: PURCHASE FARES EARLY!
The CTA strongly recommends that customers purchase fares in advance to decrease travel times and avoid long lines at rail station vending machines.
Customers can load ahead of time transit value or unlimited ride passes (1-day, 3-day, 7-day and 30-day) to their Ventra fare cards via the free Ventra app, at rail stations, online or at nearly 1,300 local retailers (for locations available or to download the app, visit ventrachicago.com). Other ways to pay fares include purchasing from CTA vending machines 1-day unlimited ride tickets ($10) or single-ride tickets ($3) that offer up to two transfers in two hours. Customers can also pay their fares with contactless bankcards and mobile wallets.
Stay in the Loop on CTA service
Plan your trip using the Google Transit Trip Planner. Be sure to also check out CTA on Facebook or Twitter (@CTA) for system travel updates and alerts. For details about all CTA service, call 312-836-7000 or visit the CTA website at transitchicago.com.
# # #