Buses and trains operating on a Sunday/holiday schedule on Thanksgiving; Project work to impact service at the Grand Blue Line station
No matter your plans, CTA is the most convenient and affordable way to get to the holiday fun. More information about our extra service to various events and Thanksgiving service is available below.
Thanksgiving Holiday Service
Leave the hassles of traffic and parking behind this Thanksgiving and let CTA take you to either the O’Hare International Airport via the Blue Line (approx. 40 minutes from Clark/Lake) or to Midway International Airport via the Orange Line (approx. 30 minutes from the Loop).
- Wed. 11/27 – Additional service on Brown, Green, Red, Blue, Purple and Orange lines
- Thurs. 11/28 (Thanksgiving Day) - Sunday/holiday bus and rail schedule
- Fri. 11/29 – Reduced AM/PM rush service on Red, Blue, Brown, Green, Pink and Purple lines
Full travel details are available at transitchicago.com/alerts. CTA recommends allowing extra travel time and to purchase fares or unlimited-ride passes ahead of time. More information about purchasing fares is below.
Event service/extra service
Extra service on the #19 United Center Express and #50 Damen bus routes for the following events:
- Colorado Avalanche vs. Chicago Blackhawks – Fri. 11/29 at 3 p.m.
- Celine Dion concert – Sun. 12/1 at 7:30 p.m.
- St. Louis Blues vs. Chicago Blackhawks – Mon. 12/2 at 7:30 p.m.
Forest Park-bound trains to temporarily bypass the Grand station
- Forest Park-bound trains will not stop at the Grand station during the following times:
- From Mon. 11/25 at 4 a.m. until Wed. 11/27 at 4 a.m.
- From Wed. 11/27 at 8 p.m. until Thurs. 11/28 at 4:30 a.m. – Details here
- Customers are encouraged to plan ahead and allow for extra travel time.
- This temporary closure is due to Your New Blue (YNB) program work.
Customers can add unlimited ride passes (1-day, 3-day, 7-day and 30-day) or add money to their Ventra cards for pay-per-ride via the following ways: free Ventra app, rail station Ventra vending machines, online or at nearly 900 local retailers - for locations visit ventrachicago.com.
Single-ride tickets are also available for purchase for $3 ($5 at O’Hare) at all Ventra vending machines. Single-ride tickets include up to two transfers in two hours.
In a hurry? Ventra allows riders to use Apple Pay, Android Pay or Samsung Pay, or any contactless credit or debit card, for pay-as-you-go rides ($2.25 for bus, $2.50 for train).
Plan your trip using the Google Transit Trip Planner. Be sure to also check out CTA on Facebook or Twitter (@CTA) for system travel updates and alerts. For details about all CTA service, call 312-836-7000 or visit the CTA website at transitchicago.com.
# # #