CTA’s service will get fans to Guaranteed Rate Field throughout the 2023 season
Baseball season is back, and the Chicago White Sox are ready to bring the action to the South Side. The Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) is your MVP for getting to/from the 2023 home opener at Guaranteed Rate Field, against the San Francisco Giants, on Monday, April 3, 2023, at 3:10 p.m. – as well as all other home games this season!
CTA is the most cost friendly option to get you to and from the ballpark—our 1-Day unlimited ride pass ($5) can get you to and from the ballpark and everywhere in between for 24-hours! CTA’s trains and buses serve customers before and after the Sox game. We’re committed to providing a reliable and comfortable travel experience for everyone.
The CTA strongly recommends that customers plan ahead, allow extra travel time, and either purchase fares in advance or use contactless payment options to avoid crowding at the station after the game.
CTA service to Guaranteed Rate Field:
- Red Line: Guaranteed Rate Field is just one block west of the Sox-35th station.
- Green Line: The 35th-Bronzeville-IIT station is just three blocks east of the ballpark.
- CTA’s Park & Ride lots are also a good choice to access CTA train service. For more information, visit transitchicago.com/parking.
- Adjacent bus routes: Several CTA bus routes serve the ballpark area, including:
- #1 Bronzeville/Union Station (during Monday – Friday rush periods only)
- #4 Cottage Grove
- #24 Wentworth
- #29 State
- #31 31st (which runs Monday – Friday to 7 p.m.)
- #35 35th (which connects with Orange and Green lines)
- #39 Pershing (which connects with Orange and Green lines)
- #44 Wallace/Racine
Below are some of the convenient methods to pay your way on the CTA:
- Ventra cardholders: Customers can load their registered Ventra cards ahead of time with either transit value or unlimited ride passes (1-day, 3-day, etc.) via the free Ventra app, which allows you to manage your Ventra account, as well as purchase tickets for use on Metra. Customers who wish to add fare passes to their Ventra Card can also do so at rail stations, on the Ventra website or at hundreds of local retailers (for locations available or to download the app, visit ventrachicago.com).
NEW! Starting February 20, 2023, all newly purchased 1-Day, 3-Day and 7-Day unlimited-ride passes are now valid for travel on both CTA and regular Pace bus services (more info here.)
- Visitors & others without a Ventra Card: Ventra vending machines located in all CTA rail stations sell new 1-day unlimited ride tickets (unlimited rides for one person for 24 hours) for $5 or single-ride tickets for $3 each* (which offer one ride plus up to two transfers within two hours of first use).
If choosing to use single-ride tickets be sure to buy what you need for your trip to and from your destination—tickets are good for up to 90 days from purchase, and passes or single ride trip windows aren’t activated until you first tap the ticket to use them.
Customers can also obtain reloadable Ventra fare cards at all Ventra vending machines or load them into an iPhone or Apple Watch (see details below). Reusable Ventra Cards can be purchased from vending machines at all 'L' stations and at hundreds of retail locations (including many drugstores, currency exchanges and more), as well as ordered online or by phone.
- Mobile Pay apps (Apple Pay, Google Pay, etc.) & contactless bankcards: All Ventra card/ticket readers accept contactless bankcards, including bankcards loaded into a Pay app on your phone (Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, etc.)When making a contactless payment directly at a reader using a bankcard or bankcard in a Pay app, you’ll pay a Pay-As-You-Go (PAYG) fare ($2.50 in most locations*) If you need to make a transfer, transfers at the regular transfer rate (or where free) are also available when paying this way.
- Cash: Cash payments are accepted on buses and require exact fare. No transfers are available with cash fares, only with Ventra fare cards and tickets. Cash also can be used at all Ventra vending machines to add value or passes to Ventra Cards or to buy disposable Ventra Tickets. You also can use cash to load value at Ventra retailers.
*Note: A special fare applies at O’Hare for regular fares paid from a Ventra Transit Account, PAYG fares and single-ride tickets.
Stay in the Loop on CTA service
Stay in the Loop on CTA service changes and alerts by subscribing to CTA Updates. For details about all CTA service, call 312-836-7000 or visit the CTA website at transitchicago.com.
# # #