Enjoy “Summer in the City” minus the stress of traffic and expensive parking
No matter what your plans for the summer, CTA can take you where you want to be easily, conveniently and for the most affordable price in town!
Beginning this Memorial Day weekend on Saturday, May 25, various CTA bus routes will provide additional service to many popular beaches, lakefront and downtown attractions, so all you need to do is load up your Ventra card and board our service to start enjoying Chicago’s outdoor fun!
Through Labor Day – Monday, September 2— the following bus routes will provide extended service during the hours beaches are open. Plan your trip in advance by visiting the Google Transit Trip Planner or by noting each bus route’s schedule, which is linked below.
NOTE: Hours of operation for Chicago beaches vary slightly; check the timetables for exact first trip/last trip times.
- #35 31st/35th: Serving 31st Street Beach 9 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.
- #63 63rd: Serving 63rd Street Beach at Hayes and Lake Shore Dr. on weekends between 9 a.m. and 9:30 p.m. Daily service begins June 17th and operates through August.
- #72 North: Serving North Avenue Beach on weekends from 9 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Daily service begins June 17th and operates through August.
- #78 Montrose: Serving Montrose Avenue Beach weekends from 9 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Additionally, a number of CTA bus routes provide service within walking distance to many local Chicago beaches. Visit transitchicago.com/destinations/ for more details.
Also starting Memorial Day Weekend and continuing through Labor Day, the following routes will run a summer service schedule:
- #10 Museum of Science & Industry: Service is provided between downtown and the Museum. Service to the Museum starts at 8:50 a.m. on all days. The last trips from the Museum depart at 6:10 p.m. on all days.
- #124 Navy Pier: Service hours are extended until midnight on all days.
- #130 Museum Campus: Service available on weekdays, weekends and holidays from 9:30 a.m. until 6 p.m. Service links the Ogilvie Transportation Center, Union Station and the Museum Campus.
Buy your unlimited ride passes and fares in advance
Avoid long lines to buy fares! Customers can add unlimited ride passes (1-day, 3-day, 7-day and 30-day) or add money to pay per-ride to their Ventra cards ahead of time via the free Ventra app, at rail station Ventra vending machines, online or at nearly 900 local retailers (for locations visit ventrachicago.com or the Ventra app).
Customers can also purchase 1-day unlimited ride tickets ($10) or single-ride tickets ($3) from all Ventra vending machines. Single-ride tickets include up to two transfers in two hours. Customers can also pay their fares with their personal contactless debit or credit cards.
Stay in the Loop on CTA Service
Plan your trip using the Google Transit Trip Planner. Be sure to also check out CTA on Facebook or Twitter (@CTA) for system travel updates and alerts. For details about all CTA service, call 312-836-7000 or visit the CTA website at transitchicago.com.
# # #