The CTA will help Chicago-area customers welcome in the Year 2002 with penny rides and extra service. Rides will cost only a penny on all CTA buses and trains from 8 p.m. Monday, December 31, until 6 a.m. Tuesday, January 1. Longer trains will operate on all 'L' lines serving the Loop, and extra buses will serve customers on six bus routes entering the downtown area. The routes with extra service are the #6 Jeffery Express, #29 State, #56 Milwaukee, #66 Chicago, #124 Navy Pier Express and #151 Sheridan.
Additional service for activities at Navy Pier will be provided on the #29 route from State/Congress, on the #56 route from Logan Square, and on the #66 route from Chicago/Ashland. Buses on all three of these routes will operate from Navy Pier until 3:30 a.m. to accommodate Navy Pier employees who will be getting off work late.
Navy Pier will also be served by 124 Navy Pier Express buses, which will operate from Union Station and the Ogilvie Transportation Center (North Western Station) every 15 minutes from 6:30 p.m. until 11:40 p.m. #124 buses stop for Union Station northbound on Canal at Adams, and for Ogilvie Center on Canal at Madison (under the pedestrian bridge) and at Washington. Trips from Navy Pier to the two Metra stations will be about every 15 minutes from 7 p.m. until 11:15 p.m. (in time to catch trains leaving at 11:40 p.m. or earlier), and then every few minutes from 12:20 a.m. until 12:45 a.m. (in time to catch specially scheduled trains leaving around 1 a.m.).
Other additional service will be provided on the #6 Jeffery Express route, where the last buses will leave Columbus/South Water southbound at 1:15 a.m. and 1:30 a.m.
Additional service will also be available on the #151 Sheridan route, where extra buses will operate all the way to Howard from Union Station until 1:50 a.m. Other late night buses from Union Station will operate north to the regular terminal at the Berwyn Red Line 'L' station.
Information about all CTA, Metra and Pace service will be available throughout the night by calling 836-7000 (all local area codes).# # #
Effective Monday, December 31, 2001, Late Evening until January 1, 2002, Early Morning
- #6 Jeffery Express: Two additional northbound trips will operate from 103rd/Stony Island to downtown at 12:10 a.m. and 12:25 a.m. Two additional southbound trips will operate from South Water/Columbus at 1:15 a.m. and 1:30 a.m.
- #29 State: Extra buses will run between downtown and Navy Pier. Service from Navy Pier will be extended until 3:30 a.m.
- #56 Milwaukee: Extra buses will operate between Logan Square and Navy Pier. Service from Navy Pier will be extended until 3:30 a.m.
- #66 Chicago: Extra buses will operate between Chicago/Ashland and Navy Pier. Service from Navy Pier will be extended until 3:30 a.m.
- #124 Navy Pier Express: Service between Metra stations (Union Station and Ogilvie Transportation Center) and Navy Pier will operate every fifteen minutes.
From Metra to Navy Pier: 6:30 p.m. to 11:40 p.m.
From Navy Pier to Metra: 7:00 p.m. to Midnight
- #151 Sheridan: Additional buses will operate from downtown to the Red Line Howard station until 1:50 a.m.