Purpose and Responsibilities
The ADA Advisory Committee was established by the authority of the Chicago Transit Board. It serves in an advisory capacity to the CTA. Its purpose is to provide the CTA with recommendations on the CTA’s compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), facilitate a dialogue between the CTA and the disability community, and increase the use of the CTA’s services by people with disabilities.
The responsibilities of the Committee include:
- To represent the diverse needs and interests of the diversity of people with disabilities
- To provide comment on CTA’s current services, policies and practices
- To provide informed input on the development and assessment of future CTA projects and services that impact people with disabilities
The Committee has up to 12 members. They are chosen from qualified applicants by the Chair of the Chicago Transit Board, based on their ability to represent a cross section of the community of people with disabilities in the Chicago metropolitan area.
Current Committee members are:
- Joe Albritton, Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities
- Adam Ballard, Access Living
- Lovell Bates, Envision Unlimited
- Pam Berman, Guide Dogs for the Blind
- Bridget Hayman, Access Living
- Whitney Hill, LCM Architects and SPORK
- Robin Jones, Great Lakes ADA Center
- Michael Kiser, Chicago Muscular Dystrophy Assoc., Local Advisory Committee
- Michele Lee, Disability Advocate
- Nicholas Robertson, National Federation of the Blind, IL Affiliate, Chicago Chapter and Veterans Admin.
- Gary Walley, Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT) and AHEAD – Assoc. on Higher Education and Disability
- Howard Wilson, National Federation of the Blind, IL Affiliate, Chicago Chapter
Committee meetings are facilitated by the CTA’s Manager of ADA Compliance Programs, Amy Serpe. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or (312) 681-2608.
The Committee meeting dates for 2020 are:
- Monday, January 13, 2020
Monday, April 13, 2020 (cancelled)
- Monday, July 13, 2020*
- Tuesday, October 13, 2020
*Virtual ADA Advisory Committee Meeting Information
Listen only through Zoom Platform or Telephone
When: July 13, 2020 01:30 PM Central Time (US and Canada)
Topic: Quarterly ADA Advisory Committee Meeting
You must open the hyperlink below to be connected to the meeting:
Please click the link below to join the webinar:
Or iPhone one-tap:
US: +1 312 626 6799
Webinar ID: 930 8519 3535
SIGN LANGUAGE INTERPRETERS WILL BE ON SCREEN FOR THE DURATION OF CTA’S ADA ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEETING ON MONDAY, JULY 13, 2020.
Anyone wishing to make a Public Comment at the CTA ADA Advisory Committee meeting on Monday, July 13, 2020, has the following options:
- You may send your written comment to email@example.com and it will be read into the record by the Meeting Facilitator. Please indicate that it is a Public Comment for the ADA Advisory Committee Meeting in the Subject line, OR;
- You may call the Meeting Facilitator (Amy Serpe) at 312-350-2301 who will assist you in writing out your comment. The comment will still be read into the record by the Meeting Facilitator.
- ALL PUBLIC COMMENTS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 5 P.M. ON FRIDAY, JULY 10, 2020 in order to be read at the Monday meeting. NO EXCEPTIONS.
The Committee meets quarterly on the second Monday of the quarter, unless there is a holiday. The meeting time is 1:30-4:00 p.m., which includes a 15 minute period for public comment. Check for meeting notices a few days in advance of meetings for additional information and see the committee's Public Comment Policy (and form).
Committee meetings are open to the public. They are held at CTA headquarters, 567 W. Lake Street, Chicago, Illinois in the Boardroom, which is located on the second floor. The Boardroom can be accessed either by the stairs at the north end of the building lobby or by the elevator located near the stairs.
Committee meetings are held in a location accessible to individuals who use mobility devices. General/Open Access Sign Language Interpreters are provided at all meetings. Individuals requiring other reasonable accommodations must notify the Manager of ADA Compliance Programs at least 5 business days prior to a meeting.
The CTA ADA Advisory Committee has established 3 Sub-Committees: Funding Advocacy, Safety and Training and Wayfinding and Technology.
CTA’s ADA Advisory Committee Chairman explains that the purpose of the Sub-Committees is to provide time between the quarterly meetings for members to keep active and engaged regarding topics of importance to the Committee. Participation is optional and may also include individuals outside of the CTA ADA Advisory Committee.
For further information contact:
- Funding Advocacy – Adam Ballard, firstname.lastname@example.org. Focused on supporting the CTA in obtaining state and Federal funding for various projects and initiatives such as the All Stations Accessibility Program, ASAP.
- Safety and Training – Bridget Hayman, email@example.com. Focused on issues related to promoting safety on CTA’s buses and trains for people with all types of disabilities.
- Wayfinding and Technology – Whitney Hill, Whitney@SPORKAbility.org. Focused on learning about new technologies and innovations enabling people with disabilities to maximize independent travel via CTA’s mainline system.