CTA offering FREE rides from 10 p.m. on New Year’s Eve until 4 a.m.
If saving money is one of your New Year’s resolutions, CTA is the BEST transportation option in town! Once again, FREE rides will be provided on all buses and trains from 10 p.m. on New Year’s Eve (Fri.12/31) until 4 a.m. the following day (Sat. 1/1) to encourage those heading out to celebrate the New Year safely. More details here.
Riders can now spend even less by taking advantage of CTA’s permanent discount on three of its most popular unlimited ride passes:
- 1-day/24-hour pass: $5 (down from $10)
- 3-day/72-hour pass: $15 (down from $20)
- 7-day pass: $20 (down from $28)
Leave the hassles of traffic and parking behind this holiday season and let CTA take you to either the O’Hare International Airport via the Blue Line (approx. 40 minutes from Clark/Lake) or to Midway International Airport via the Orange Line (approx. 30 minutes from the Loop).
Fri. 12/31 - New Year’s Eve
Fireworks at Navy Pier and Chicago River –midnight to 12:10 a.m.
- Sunday schedule
- Extra bus service: #22 Clark, #29 State, #65 Grand, #66 Chicago, #124 Navy Pier, and #151 Sheridan.
- Expect complete closures of all bridges over the Chicago River between Franklin/Orleans Street Bridge and Columbus for the fireworks display.
- Beginning as early as 11 p.m. and until as late as 1 a.m., the following CTA buses running North and South over the river will operate only to Wacker from the south or Ohio from the north for the duration of the event: #3 King Drive, #6 Jackson Park Express, #22 Clark, #36 Broadway, #62 Archer, #146 Inner Drive/Michigan Express, #147 Outer Drive Express, and #151 Sheridan.
- Other buses in the vicinity of the fireworks, including those serving Wacker Drive and Navy Pier are subject to temporary, rolling reroutes to adjacent streets.
- A complete listing of all CTA bus service impacts is available at www.transitchicago.com/travel-information/bus-status/
Sat.1/1 - New Year’s Day - Saturday schedule
Sun. 1/2 - Sunday schedule
Full travel details are available at transitchicago.com/alerts. CTA recommends allowing extra travel time as well as purchasing fares or unlimited ride passes ahead of time.
Service for Upcoming Events
Extra service on the #20 Madison before each event and on the #50 Damen and #19 United Center Express after each event
- New Year's Comedy Laugh Fest – Thu. 12/30 at 8 p.m.
- Calgary Flames vs. Chicago Blackhawks - Sun. 1/2 at 6 p.m.
- Orlando Magic vs. Chicago Bulls - Mon. 1/3 at 7 p.m.
- Colorado Avalanche vs. Chicago Blackhawks - Tue. 1/4 at 7:30 p.m.
Extra service on the #128 Solder Field Express #146 Inner Drive/Michigan Express
- New York Giants vs. Chicago Bears – Sun. 1/2 at 12 p.m.
*NOTE: Scheduled Bulls and Blackhawks games are subject to change, based upon NBA and NHL COVID-19 protocols and procedures.
Know before you go!
The CTA strongly recommends customers allow extra travel time and plan ahead by using the Google Transit Trip Planner and purchasing fares in advance.
Masks are required on CTA: Per federal mandate, masks or face coverings are required on all CTA properties -- even if you are vaccinated. Free masks are available on every bus and at every rail station.
More information about CTA’s efforts to provide the safest and healthiest transit experience can be found at transitchicago.com/ready.
Stay in the Loop on CTA service and follow us on Facebook or Twitter (@CTA) for system travel updates and alerts. For details about all CTA service, call 312-836-7000 or visit the CTA website at transitchicago.com.
# # #