ADA Advisory Committee
Purpose and Responsibilities
The ADA Advisory Committee was established by the authority of the Chicago Transit Board. It serves in an advisory capacity to the CTA. Its purpose is to provide the CTA with recommendations on the CTA’s compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), facilitate a dialogue between the CTA and the disability community, and increase the use of the CTA’s services by people with disabilities.
The responsibilities of the Committee include:
- To represent the diverse needs and interests of the diversity of people with disabilities
- To provide comment on CTA’s current services, policies and practices
- To provide informed input on the development and assessment of future CTA projects and services that impact people with disabilities
The Committee has up to 12 members. They are chosen from qualified applicants by the Chair of the Chicago Transit Board, based on their ability to represent a cross section of the community of people with disabilities in the Chicago metropolitan area.
Current Committee members are:
- Pierre Bance, Disability Advocate
- Rhychell Barnes, Progress Center for Independent Living
- Tim Fischer, Neumann Family Services
- Steve Hastalis, (Chair) Disability Advocate
- Grace Kaminkowitz, Disability Advocate
- Laura Miller, Equip for Equality
- Christina Mullins, Chicago Mayor’s Office for People With Disabilities
- Dorrell Perry, Disability Advocate
- Angela Reneau, Disability Advocate
- Suzen Riley, Disability Advocate
- Allen West, Chicago Park District Special Recreation Programs
- Bryen Yunashko, Task Force on Deaf/Blind Transportation
Committee meetings are facilitated by the CTA’s Manager of ADA Compliance Programs, Amy Serpe. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or (312) 681-2608.
The Committee meeting dates for 2015 are:
- Monday, January 12
- Monday, April 13
- Monday, July 13
- Tuesday, October 13
The Committee meets quarterly on the second Monday of the quarter, unless there is a holiday. The meeting time is 1:30-3:30 p.m., which includes a 15 minute period for public comment. Check for meeting notices a few days in advance of meetings for additional information.
Committee meetings are open to the public. They are held at CTA headquarters, 567 W. Lake Street, Chicago, Illinois in the Boardroom, which is located on the second floor. The Boardroom can be accessed either by the stairs at the north end of the building lobby or by the elevator located near the stairs.
Committee meetings are held in a location accessible to individuals who use mobility devices. Sign Language Interpreters are provided at all meetings. Individuals requiring other reasonable accommodations must notify the Manager of ADA Compliance Programs at least 5 business days prior to a meeting.