ADA Advisory Committee
Purpose and Responsibilities
The ADA Advisory Committee was established by the authority of Chicago Transit Board. It serves in an advisory capacity to the CTA. Its purpose is to provide the CTA with recommendations on the CTA’s compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), facilitate a dialogue between the CTA and the disability community, and increase the use of the CTA’s services by people with disabilities.
The responsibilities of the Committee include:
- To represent the interests of the diversity of people with disabilities
- To provide comment on CTA’s current services, policies and practices
- To provide informed input on the development and assessment of future CTA projects and services that impact people with disabilities
The Committee has up to 12 members. They are chosen from qualified applicants by the Chair of the Chicago Transit Board, based their ability to represent a cross section of the community of people with disabilities in the Chicago metropolitan area.
Current Committee members are:
- Rhychell Barnes, Progress Center for Independent Living
- Tim Fischer, Neumann Family Services
- Steve Hastalis, (Chair) Disability Advocate
- Grace Kaminkowitz, Disability Advocate
- Laura Miller, Equip for Equality
- Dorrell Perry, Disability Advocate
- Bryen Yunashko, Task Force on Deaf/Blind Transportation
Apply to be a Committee Member
We're looking for five new members for its ADA Advisory Committee. The Committee meets quarterly at CTA headquarters.
ADA Advisory Committee Flyer (.pdf) (text-only .pdf)
ADA Advisory Committee Application (.pdf) (text-only .pdf)
ADA Advisory Committee Large Print Application (text-only .pdf)
Committee meetings are facilitated by the CTA’s ADA Compliance Officer, Amy Serpe. She can be reached at email@example.com or (312) 681-2608.
The Committee meeting dates for 2014 are:
- Monday, January 13
- Monday, April 14
- Monday, July 14
- Tuesday, October 14
The Committee meets quarterly on the second Monday of the quarter, unless there is a holiday. The meeting time is 1:30-3:30 p.m., which includes a 15 minute period for public comment. Check for meeting notices a few days in advance of meetings for additional information.
Committee meetings open to the public. They are held at CTA headquarters, 567 W. Lake Street, Chicago, Illinois in the Boardroom, which is located on the second floor. The Boardroom can be accessed either by the stairs at the north end of the building lobby or by the elevator located near the stairs.