Red Line Extension Project
Connecting the 95th/Dan Ryan Terminal to 130th Street
The Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) is proposing to extend the Red Line from the existing terminal at 95th/Dan Ryan to 130th Street, subject to the availability of funding. The proposed 5.3-mile extension would include four new stations near 103rd Street, 111th Street, Michigan Avenue, and 130th Street. Each new station would include bus and parking facilities. This project is one part of the Red Ahead Program to extend and enhance the entire Red Line .
View the project map.
- Reduces commute times for residents both within and south of the project area.
- Improves mobility and accessibility for transit-dependent residents in the project area.
- Improves rapid transit rail service to isolated areas and provide viable linkages between affordable housing, jobs, services, and educational opportunities, thereby enhancing livability and neighborhood vitality.
- Provides an opportunity for potential connections and linkages to other public transportation modes including regional commuter rail in the project area.
- Fosters economic development in the project area, where new stations may serve as catalysts for neighborhood revitalization and help reverse decades of disinvestment in local business districts.
- Provides a modern, efficient rail car storage yard and shop facility to provide storage and cost-effective preventive maintenance for rail cars associated with the Red Line Extension Project, rail cars currently stored in the existing 98th Street Yard and Shop, and rail cars supporting additional Red Line expansion of service.
Get involved and stay informed
Public and agency input is important. This website will keep you informed about the proposed project, the planning process, and opportunities for public input and participation.
If you have any questions related to the Chicago Transit Authority’s proposed Red Line Extension, or would like to be added to the project contact list for future updates, please contact us at:
Chicago Transit Authority
Strategic Planning & Policy, 10th Floor
Attn: Red Line Extension Project
567 W. Lake Street
Chicago, IL 60661-1465