The CTA Law Department’s Intern Program
"My practical experiences at the CTA helped to bolster my confidence as well as my resume."
The CTA’s Legal Intern Program enables law students to develop practical skills in a wide range of practice areas, including torts, employment, labor, corporate, policy and appeals, and workers’ compensation. Interns will work closely with experienced attorneys and will have the opportunity to attend trials, participate in depositions and arbitrations, prepare motions/briefs, and draft contracts. They will also have a unique vantage point into the diverse and complex legal issues addressed by the second largest transit agency in the country.
The Program runs throughout the year, with fall, spring and summer sessions. Through a series of in-house lectures and workshops given by CTA lawyers, interns will learn about topics such as legal research and writing, negotiations, labor arbitrations, and taking depositions.
Law students who participate in the CTA’s Legal Intern Program may be eligible to receive their 711 Licenses. This license enables law school students who are under the supervision of a CTA lawyer to appear in court, represent the CTA in contested matters, and counsel clients.
This is a paid internship. Students will be compensated $16.00 an hour.
An applicant for the Legal Intern position will meet the following criteria:
- Is a student in a law school that is approved by the American Bar Association;
- is eligible to work in the United States;
- is a second-year or third-year law school student (third-year students are preferred for fall and spring externships);
- is a student in good academic standing and has a minimum grade point average of 2.75 on a scale of 4.0;
- is generally able to work a minimum of 15 hours a week during fall and spring sessions, and 40 hours a week during the summer session; and
- demonstrated interest in the public sector is a plus!
To apply for the Legal Intern Program, please submit a current resume and an official law school transcript to:
Law Department, 6th Floor
Chicago Transit Authority
567 W. Lake St.
Chicago, IL 60661
If you have any questions about the CTA’s Legal Intern Program, you can contact Nancy Isaac,Chief Administrator,Office of the General Counsel at firstname.lastname@example.org.